The company that was to become Royal Doulton started in 1815 in Vauxhall Walk, Lambeth, London making ceramic bottles and sewer pipes. With the development of the Improved Water Closet, Doulton even made some very attractive toilets. By the 1870’s, Doulton started to produce decorative pottery and employed artists such as the Barlow’s. In 1901, Edward VII issued a Royal Warrant to Henry Doulton and Royal Doulton fully came into being. With a 1913 Royal visit to the pottery, the first Royal Doulton figurines came into fashion when ‘Queen Mary” expressed her delight with the figure she called “Darling”. Queen Mary purchased a copy of “Darling” and the craze for collecting Royal Doulton figurines commenced which still continues to this day.